Saturday, October 25, 2014

Dear White People: A Fun Film

The Dissolve: You’ve been called an “equal-opportunity indicter,” but the film doesn't feel like it indicts people at all. 
Simien: I don’t think it does.
The Dissolve: It’s sympathetic to everyone. Even its worst villain has a few mitigating factors. 
--From an interview by Tasha Robinson with Director, Justin Simien.

I watched Dear White People last night with my husband and daughter, and it was a lot of fun! And I loved seeing it at the Grand Lake Theatre in Oakland. My first time there!

The audience was probably 70% European American, and maybe 10-15% African American. Many/most people were there in mixed race groups. The audience in the theater behaved like fans at a soccer match, cheering the "scores" and "ooooing" and "ouching" the rough stuff. A group of about four young women sat directly behind us and provided running commentary, which was generally very amusing, and at times even helpful. It was a ton of fun watching and hearing Etagu react!

Etagu could hardly believe it when, after we got home, she realized we had taken her to an R rated movie. But I had figured there would be nothing disturbing in it that would be new for her, and I was mostly right. She was shocked and offended by the "black face" college party, but, as we learned in the credits, that stuff happens. It was perfectly appropriate for her.

So, about the movie! We are so accustomed to seeing African American stereo types from a European American perspective, it was fun and interesting seeing them from an African American perspective. There were so many more of them! And stereotypes of European Americans were also in abundance. If the point still needs to be made that our lives are richer when we are exposed to many perspectives, this film helps to do that, if only through the number of stereotyped characters that an African American can come up with for both African Americans and European Americans. People may still be in boxes, but better to have many boxes than just one or two. And, of course, what is really important about the film is that it looks at very real issues. 

The only really painful part of the movie is the black face party. Seeing the African American characters react with painful disappointment and disillusionment to what they were witnessing was wrenching.

The ending is, from comments I've seen on social media, somewhat controversial. I think it disappointed some. But I found it to be a refreshing surprise. Etagu asked my about my favorite part of the movie, and I sheepishly said "The ending." She said, "Mom! You're such a hippy." I don't think I'm a hippy. That box doesn't fit me. I want more boxes to choose from. Maybe Justin Simien can help me out.

No comments:

Post a Comment